From: Clay Mitchell <claymitchell@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Kernel problem
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:56:27
1 My /boot directory is /dev/hda1 - it contains both the bzImage and the
2 menu.lst. The root system is at /dev/hda2
3
4 The Grub menu comes up, and I can select a kernel to boot off of, no
5 problem.
6
7 My grub is set up with "root (hd0,0)" and "setup (hd0)")
8
9 My menu.lst specifies root as (hd0,0) and
10
11 Kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda2
12
13 Am I missing something?
14
15 -----Original Message-----
16 From: gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org
17 [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Gontran
18 Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 1:47 PM
19 To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
20 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel problem
21
22
23 * Clay Mitchell (claymitchell@××××××××.com) wrote:
24 > I'm getting this problem every time I boot up:
25 >
26 > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs
27 >
28
29 This is usually the result of specifying incorrect filesystem parameters
30 to the boot loader. Are you keeping in mind the array-like numbering
31 scheme (012345...) for disk partitions when configuring grub? Are you
32 remembering to turn that logic off and name your root partition as the
33 OS
34 understands it for the kernel parameter 'root='?
35
36 > Any idea what's causing this? I'm guessing it's a kernel problem - I
37 > copied the one off the rc6-10 build cd and I can boot. But I haven't
38 > been able to track down what is causing this problem.
39 >
40 > Any ideas?
41
42