From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more hardening features to default?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:41:30
1 On 10/20/2011 04:47 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > I've noticed
3 > <http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/SecurityHardeningBuildFlags>, i.e.
4 > Debian is starting to make more and more hardening features default, at
5 > least for most packages.
6 >
7 > Should we start doing that too? What are possible problems with that? It
8 > seems like it's mostly about USE=hardened, right?
9 >
10 > I've noticed that several binary drivers like nvidia-drivers are masked
11 > on hardened - is it a problem with hardened-sources, or with hardened
12 > toolchain?
13 >
14 The nvidia-driver problem is due to PaX in the kernel, so its
15 hardened-sources.
16
17 USE=hardened refers to only toolchain hardening. The problems there are
18 mostly packages which break with PIE because they (ab)use assembly.
19 Things like virtualbox and some codecs. This can become a thorny mess.
20
21 It would probably be nearly painless to bring in -D_FORTIFY_SOURCES=2
22 and ssp into mainstream though. Packages which break because of either
23 of those two features are broken and should be fixed anyhow.
26 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
27 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
28 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
29 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
30 GnuPG ID : D0455535