From: twistedhammer <twistedhammer@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] CONFIG_PROTECT via RCS patch
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 21:36:16
1 After the umpteenth time of typing 'emerge --help config' to
2 get the glob for the config files, I snapped. =)
3 2 liters of Cherry Coke and several hours later I had
4 modified bin/emerge and pym/portage.py to use rcs to
5 check-in the new version of CONFIG_PROTECT protected files
6 into a branch off of the current revision. I spent a couple
7 days playing with it, and is seems to work fine.
8 I also had to make a slight modification to
9 /usr/sbin/update-modules (called by the nvidia-kernel's
10 pkg_postinst() among others..). It would try to cat
11 /etc/modules.d/RCS/ (or any other directories) and cause the
12 rest of the script not to run.
13
14 You will find my patches attached. the emerge and portage.py
15 I modified are the 1.8.8-r1 versions, although it seemed to
16 patch into 1.9.0-pre1 without much fuss. I haven't actually
17 tried _running_ it in 1.9.0-pre1, so ymmv.
18
19 The rcs patch still needs work as I haven't had time to
20 craft a /etc/make.conf option for it.. there's currently one
21 line in portage.py that turns it on or off. grep for the
22 string 'MAJOR HACK' to find it.
23
24 If anyone else uses this, modifies it, fixes it, or what
25 have you, let me know. =)
26
27 Cheers,
28 James Gibson <twistedhammer@××××××××××××.com>

portage-1.8.8-r1-rcs.patch application/octet-stream
rc-scripts-1.2.6-update-modules.patch application/octet-stream