From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:39:43
1 On 20:26 Mon 09 Mar , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 08:49:16 +0100
3 > Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
4 > > http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPAJXP6shYH78lCXeqRqCUQ
5 >
6 > Here're some more easy ones.
7
8 This list sounds mostly good to me.
9
10 > * Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE (bug 176467). The existing
11 > behaviour's majorly annoying; time for the package manager to start
12 > enforcing things strictly.
13
14 I really like this one, and I've wanted it for a wihle.
15
16 > Not sure if these can go in in time for Portage or not:
17 >
18 > * Utility commands, even the ones that aren't functions, should die. To
19 > get a non-die version, prefix the command with nonfatal (e.g.
20 > 'nonfatal dodoc README', which just returns non-zero on failure
21 > rather than splatting).
22
23 Sounds useful to have less '|| die' all over the place.
24
25 > * Calling unpack on an unrecognised extension should be fatal, unless
26 > --if-compressed is specified. The default src_unpack needs to use
27 > this.
28
29 Why?
32 Thanks,