From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New PROPERTIES="live-sources" setting for ebuilds?
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 01:52:25
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hi everyone,
5
6 As a substitute for the previously discussed RESTRICT=live value[1],
7 I'd now like you to consider an equivalent PROPERTIES=live-sources
8 setting. By specifying PROPERTIES=live-sources, an ebuild will be
9 able to indicate that it uses src_unpack() to download sources from
10 some type of live repository such as cvs, darcs, git, mercurial, or svn.
11
12 The only difference between the previously suggested RESTRICT=live
13 value and the new PROPERTIES=live-sources value is that we'll be
14 using a new variable name and therefore we'll have to add that
15 variable to the metadata cache in order for it to be accessible
16 during dependency calculations. This will require the introduction
17 of a new "PROPERTIES" variable to the ebuild metadata cache that's
18 distributed via the rsync mirrors and resides locally in the
19 ${PORTDIR}/metadata/cache/ directory.
20
21 By using a new PROPERTIES variable instead of the existing RESTRICT
22 variable, we will have two separate categories of boolean
23 attributes. This is useful since some boolean attributes, such as
24 "primaruri" and "live-sources", have an inverted nomenclature when
25 compared to the other boolean attributes that currently exist within
26 the RESTRICT set, show here:
27
28 binchecks - Disable all QA checks for binaries.
29
30 bindist - Distribution of binary packages is restricted.
31
32 fetch - Files will not be fetched via SRC_URI.
33
34 installsources - Disable FEATURES=installsources.
35
36 mirror - Disable mirroring.
37
38 primaryuri - Fetch from URLs in SRC_URI before GENTOO_MIRRORS.
39
40 strip - Final binaries/libraries will not be stripped.
41
42 test - Do not run src_test even if user has FEATURES=test.
43
44 userpriv - Disables FEATURES=userpriv.
45
46 We can add the new PROPERTIES variable to the metadata cache and it
47 will be fully backward compatible as long as PROPERTIES only
48 contains information that can be safely ignored by older versions of
49 portage. Newer versions of portage that are aware of the new
50 variable will simply have a superset of the information that's
51 available to older versions of portage.
52
53 The addition of the PROPERTIES variable isn't entirely necessary
54 since the "live-sources" attribute could be expressed in RESTRICT
55 just as well. However, numerous people has expressed a desire to
56 have a new variable to represent a different category of boolean
57 attributes, so as not to pollute the RESTRICT variable with values
58 that don't fit well into existing RESTRICT nomenclature conventions.
59
60 Shall we move forward with this approach or are there any remaining
61 issues that people would like to discuss?
62
63 Zac
64
65 [1]