From: "Noack
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.12.5 sucks
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:40:03
1 Hi,
2
3 at the weekend I upgraded to baselayout-1.12.5. And this is the worse
4 version of baselayout since I'm using Gentoo.
5
6 The first reason therefore is, that the kernel log is spamming to your
7 console all the time, because of the loglevel doesn't become set to 1
8 anymore.
9
10 The workaround is to hack /etc/init.d/checkroot to call `dmesg -n 1` on
11 startup, even though in /etc/conf.d/rc is a variable RC_DMESG_LOGLEVEL
12 which is set to "1" by default, but it doesn't affect anything.
15 The other reason is, that independent from which net.*-scripts are
16 attached to a runlevel, at least one net.*-script besides net.lo becomes
17 started according to RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no" [1] in /etc/conf.d/rc.
18 Such behaviour shouldn't be the default. If I want a distro where
19 anything happens automatically, I would use Ubunto or Suse. Furthermore
20 it isn't even possible to stop this behaviour by setting
21 RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to "none" or "lo" [1].
22
23 The workaround therefore is to set RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
24 /etc/conf.d/rc.
27 But however, the best workaround would be the following I guess. :)
28
29 echo "~sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.5" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
32 If I just misunderstood the new configurations of baselayout-1.12.5,
33 feel free to answer, before other people apply my bad workarounds. ;)
36 [1]
37 # RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING allows some flexibility with the 'net' service.
38 # The following values are allowed:
39 # none - The 'net' service is always considered up.
40 # no - This basically means that at least one net.* service besides
41 net.lo
42 # must be up. This can be used by notebook users that have a
43 wifi and
44 # a static nic, and only wants one up at any given time to have
45 the
46 # 'net' service seen as up.
47 # lo - This is the same as the 'no' option, but net.lo is also
48 counted.
49 # This should be useful to people that do not care about any
50 specific
51 # interface being up at boot.
52 # yes - For this ALL network interfaces MUST be up for the 'net'
53 service to
54 # be considered up.
57 Regards
58 Sebastian Noack