From: "Noack
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.12.5 sucks
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:40:03

at the weekend I upgraded to baselayout-1.12.5. And this is the worse
version of baselayout since I'm using Gentoo.

The first reason therefore is, that the kernel log is spamming to your
console all the time, because of the loglevel doesn't become set to 1

The workaround is to hack /etc/init.d/checkroot to call `dmesg -n 1` on
startup, even though in /etc/conf.d/rc is a variable RC_DMESG_LOGLEVEL
which is set to "1" by default, but it doesn't affect anything.

The other reason is, that independent from which net.*-scripts are
attached to a runlevel, at least one net.*-script besides net.lo becomes
started according to RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no" [1] in /etc/conf.d/rc.
Such behaviour shouldn't be the default. If I want a distro where
anything happens automatically, I would use Ubunto or Suse. Furthermore
it isn't even possible to stop this behaviour by setting
RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to "none" or "lo" [1].

The workaround therefore is to set RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in

But however, the best workaround would be the following I guess. :)

echo "~sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.5" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

If I just misunderstood the new configurations of baselayout-1.12.5,
feel free to answer, before other people apply my bad workarounds. ;)

# RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING allows some flexibility with the 'net' service.
# The following values are allowed:
#  none  - The 'net' service is always considered up.
#  no    - This basically means that at least one net.* service besides
#          must be up.  This can be used by notebook users that have a
wifi and
#          a static nic, and only wants one up at any given time to have
#          'net' service seen as up.
#  lo    - This is the same as the 'no' option, but net.lo is also
#          This should be useful to people that do not care about any
#          interface being up at boot.
#  yes   - For this ALL network interfaces MUST be up for the 'net'
service to
#          be considered up.

Sebastian Noack