From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creation and handling of virtual/tar
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:54:22
1 On Monday 07 November 2005 20:38, Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
2 > So why is a virtual needed?  Don't the two packages co-exist?
3 They do, but at the moment just one can provide /bin/tar for a specific
4 system.
5
6 The idea is to be able to select one of the two, like loggers, crons, and
7 similar. And just let virtual/tar be included in the base's packages,
8 defaulting base virtual/tar to app-arch/tar, and overwriting it on freebsd
9 profiles to app-arch/bsdtar.
10
11 And when I want to remove app-arch/tar from linux... I can just select my own
12 virtual provider on /etc/portage/profile, and let deps be clear by
13 themselves.
16 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
17 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE