From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] git commit / push signing error
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 08:03:47
1 On 11 August 2015 at 19:44, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
2 > If somebody knows how to configure pinentry curses correctly (in
3 > particular with respect to screen/multiplexing and long running
4 > sessions, that would be a great help (and wiki addition).
7 I suspect its more a bug in GPG than pinentry, as it appears to be GPG
8 which tells pinentry which tty to write to.
9
10 And the GPG-Agent appears to keep trying to attach to the original tty
11 it was spawned in, instead of the one its being queried in.
12
13 An example of this can be seen if you spawn two local terminals,
14 authenticate GPG in it with pin-entry, and the hide that terminal
15 somewhere for later.
16
17 Then, when the agent expires and re-prompts you for a pin, your
18 current terminal, instead of getting the "cancelled by user" message,
19 you instead get it blocking indefinitely.
20
21 Then, you can go hunting for that terminal you originally started and
22 authenticated GPG-Agent in, and you might find its suddenly asking for
23 input. ( Which may or may not actually be usable ).
24
25 ^ is a hideous and dangerous bug IMHO.
26
27 The only solution I know is consistently viable is ensuring your tty's
28 you intend to do pin-entries in have GPG_TTY=$(tty) in their
29 environment.
35 Kent
36
37 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL