From: Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 13:57:39
1 On 11/08/2020 15.38, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 >
3 > On 8/11/20 11:36 AM, Jaco Kroon wrote:
4 >> And I've already provided you one use case where udev doesn't work well
5 >> but eudev does.  I've also mentioned some historic issues I believe
6 >> should already be fixed but which did bit me in systemd-udev which was
7 >> never a problem in eudev.
8 >>
9 > Your systems seem to diverge a lot from what I'd consider as 'default'.
10 > You must already make many changes to them.
11 >
12 > Before this thread I didn't even know/remember I was using eudev. It
13 > works and there doesn't seem to be any global issues related to it.
14 > However after reading this thread I'm a bit considered about the
15 > maintenance state of it.
16 >
17 > Switched to udev. Simple as 'emerge -1 sys-fs/udev'. It works, didn't
18 > notice any difference.
19 >
20 > If musl is a problem, to my knowledge musl has its own stage images, so
21 > why can't those stages use eudev while other ones defaulting to udev?
22
23 For the sake of science, I've also moved one of my systems to
24 sys-fs/udev and noticed a single incompatibility. There are few ways how
25 to disable the systemd/udev predictable NIC names, one of them is to
26 boot with net.ifnames=0, another is to mask rule file that trigger the
27 rename, as described on wiki[1]
28
29 Long story short, on eudev it's 80-net-name-slot.rules, on udev it's
30 80-net-setup-link.rules
31
32 The result was that my system booted without working network, as connman
33 started to poke around Ethernet interfaces (this is ok, I had
34 blacklisted eth*, not enp*), which then resulted in switching routing to
35 Ethernet that failed to get IP from DHCP, even that WiFi had a fully
36 working Internet access, so more like connman bug. (And yes, I am aware
37 that net.ifnames=0 will work on both)
38
39 This however shows two things: eudev is (no longer) drop-in replacement,
40 as some interfaces changed in upstream udev, which leads to second
41 thing, we need to have migration path, because even if(!) Gentoo change
42 default (I am not a fan of this idea really), then it might lead to
43 people doing fresh installation or reinstallation, migrating their
44 configs resulting in not working systems/working in other way that
45 previous one.
46
47 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev#Keep_classic_.27eth0.27_naming
48