From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 02:30:22
1 On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 14:04:06 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
5 > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
6 > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
7 > outweighs that.
8
9 On principle I would discourage this course of action.
10
11 Critical infrastructure should be built on proven and established technology
12 that has practically become boring to the point of almost-stagnation.
13
14 Building things atop of newer technology ends up being like building upon
15 shifting sands.
16
17 And all this is doubly important if you're ever needing to bootstrap.
18
19 ie: It might be justifiable to build openrc on top of meson on an established
20 system which already has a working openrc, but building openrc on meson
21 when you're installing your first Gentoo install is going to be much more painful
22 than it should be.
23
24 And we should be keeping the @system essentials set required for new installations
25 to be as minimal as possible without losing functionality.
26
27 And here, I think the objectives of being parallel-make friendly are small
28 in compare with the overhead for ensuring the dependencies are present and working
29 and usable on a clean install.
30
31 But a package that has only been in tree a measly 7 months seems far, far
32 too premature to switch to being a mandatory part of the critical path.