From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc stabilization update
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:33:32
1 On Monday, September 20, 2010 13:49:08 Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > Wrong. It will. The GDP--that's effectively just me--will already have to
3 > rewrite every single one of hundreds of pages of documentation to allow
4 > for the new syntax and way of doing things present in the "oldnet"
5 > behavior of OpenRC. That's ~weeks to ~months of work, even if there's
6 > someone besides me doing it. I'll have to do all that effort and time
7 > commitment yet again if we have to rewrite everything once "newnet"
8 > becomes the default after everyone uses "oldnet" for a while.
9
10 man, fix your line length. what a nub you are.
11
12 > Please. Just stick to *one* config. I strongly suggest that it be "oldnet,"
13 > given all the problems with "newnet" raised in this thread. But more
14 > importantly, because *the groundork has already been done* when I wrote
15 > the OpenRC Migration Guide. I can piggyback all my efforts off that guide,
16 > which will greatly shorten the amount of time needed for the rest of the
17 > documentation. Otherwise a completely new "migration" guide will have to
18 > be written, AND all the docs will need to be adjusted to THAT one.
19
20 we're going with oldnet by default in stable and that'll be what the GDP has
21 to worry about. newnet will still be there, but people will have to manually
22 opt out of oldnet and opt in to newnet. i dont think we need to worry about
23 documenting it in the handbook for now ... the bundled files with openrc are
24 sufficient.
25 -mike