From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:28:10
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 08:13:51PM +0400, Hobbit wrote:
2 > > Why should we care about ancient filesystems that didn't supported
3 > > long paths, and therefore we got stuck with /usr since we didn't
4 > > wanted to waste another *single* character to make it /user?
5 >
6 > Because of it's original name: "UNIX System Resources" (usr).
7
8 Actually this is not correct (see my earlier post with the link to
9 osnews.com).
10 Originally it contained user directories like /home does now.
11
12 William