From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should Gentoo do https by default?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:14:10
1 On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o> wrote:
2 > * Hanno Böck schrieb am 27.03.15 um 15:33 Uhr:
5 >> "Certificates are too expensive"
6 >> Gentoo already has certs for all pages, so this is not an argument
7 >> here, but if this ever becomes an issue there are a number of CAs these
8 >> days that issue free certs. In summer the community based CA Let's
9 >> encrypt will start which will be another option.
12 > Or CAs which offer a "Cert Flatrate" for a small fee per year like
13 > StartSSL.com
14
15 As has been pointed out, this is a moot issue for Gentoo. However,
16 I'm not aware of anybody who both offers a free certificate and will
17 let you change your private key if it is compromised free of charge.
18
19 StartSSL in fact refuses to revoke certificates even when people
20 publish their private keys publicly. If you buy a previously-used
21 domain you might want to make sure that there isn't a StartSSL
22 certificate floating around for it which is still valid...
23
24 I don't think this has any bearing whatsoever on Gentoo, but it does
25 annoy me when people say that there are free cert options out there,
26 when the whole point of having a CA is security and the ones which are
27 both trusted and free have some pretty horrible security practices.
28
29 The current CA system is horribly broken, but not as broken as not
30 using SSL, or browsers which don't make you click 5 buttons every time
31 you visit a non-SSL website the way they do when you visit an SSL
32 website with an untrusted certificate. :)
35 Rich