From: mbutcher <mbutcher@××××××××××.tv>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, Yannick Koehler <yannick.koehler@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/init.d
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:02:21
1 Interesting suggestions, but to me your solution looks more complex than the
2 status quo. Now, instead of just merging the files by hand, I have to:
3
4 1) Manage another set of scripts in another place (/etc/user.d), which makes
5 troubleshooting harder.
6
7 2) Deal with another set of config files (If I'm reading your second
8 paragraph correctly), which might break if a new ebuild adds or removes
9 options that this config file must have.
10
11 3) Worry that any time I update a package, one of the scripts that _was_
12 playing nicely will now be broken without giving me so much as a warning.
13
14 If we used your proposal for '.modif' scripts, then updating a build might
15 never warn us of the changes that _did_ take place, and _should_ be handled
16 differently in the custom script. If we added the functionality to portage to
17 warn us when a config script changed, then... well, we'd be back to where we
18 started.
19
20 Also, I'd challenge the claim that 85-90% of Gentoo users do not alter their
21 init scripts. That may be true for Red Hat or Mandrake (though users of those
22 do have to update /etc/sysconfig files instead, which isn't any better to me).
23
24 To me, the attractive part about the way it works now is that it is simple
25 and straightforward. I feel like I am in control of things when I update a
26 package. It took me (and probably most people on this list) a minimal amount
27 of time to learn the scheme, and now I rue the days when I used to spend
28 hours debugging problems in Red Hat init scripts (only to have my fixes
29 overwritten the next time I upgraded with RPM).
30
31 I understand that the current way might slow you down if you're running a lot
32 of services. But to me, that's a small price to pay for soundness of mind and
33 simple elegance.
34
35 Matt
36