From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] macos mess
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:23:00
1 On 25 Jul 2004, at 03:26, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2
3 > The real problem is that nobody (if I am like everybody else) has
4 > heard about
5 > this stuff except those that are following the macos movement. If you
6 > had
7 > announced your plan to inject everything in MacOS and keyword ebuilds
8 > on the
9 > assumption that those packages are available, many people could have
10 > told you
11 > that the issues that are happening currently would occur. More
12 > importantly,
13 > solutions would have been able to be created before the current issues
14 > became
15 > issues.
16
17 The MacOS project was announced one year ago. One single portage
18 feature that still isn't implemented held the project up for that long.
19 It's a relatively simple feature compared to the other requirements I
20 have for a next generation portage. What MacOS is doing right now is
21 moving forward and identifying all MacOS related issues, creating bug
22 reports for them and we try to do our best finding both long term and
23 short term solutions. We can't afford to be put on hold for another
24 year, unfortunately.
25
26 >> Why does repoman/linux think the dependency graph for macos is broken.
27 >
28 > Because it is.
29
30 By design.
31
32 > So then you are trying to use one keyword to describe both a situation
33 > where
34 > all base packages are available and one where they aren't?
35
36 darwin keyword + darwin profiles -> from scratch approach,
37 bootstrapping, livecds, nothing which depends on xcode
38 macos keyword + macos profiles -> repository of mac OS X compatible
39 apps, supports forced overwrites, supports prefixed installs, no
40 bootstrapping
41
42 anything that is darwin compatible is macos compatible, but not the
43 other way around.
44
45 >> Since repoman doesn't complain about macos under macos (it must be
46 >> broken or somehow take into account injected packages when doing
47 >> --emptytree), I prefer this option. It's also the least amount of
48 >> work.
49 >
50 > Does it complain when the patch Travis mentioned is in place?
51
52 I'll try.
53
54 I must say that repoman doesn't work out of the box on any of my
55 computers. You're free to try it yourself, I was quite surprised to see
56 repoman being happy about macos keywords on my x86, ppc and sparc
57 machines. All running latest portage development release .51_pre13.
58
59 >> 2. make repoman macos aware
60 >
61 > s/make repoman macos aware/include support in ALL of portage/
62
63 That's the plan. There will be code, no worry. But until there's code,
64 we use the cleanest possible short-term solution for various issues.
65
66 >> This requires new portage features. Adding another file to the
67 >> profiles, I can think of at least 2 portage feature requests that
68 >> require adding another file to the profiles, so this can't be a short
69 >> term solution.
70 >
71 > Why wasn't this suggested months ago? A feature such as this (which
72 > isn't hard
73 > to implement btw) could allow you to not inject everything and be able
74 > satisfy repoman as well. It would also be useful in separating your
75 > two types
76 > of macos users into separate profiles.
77
78 When I openened the bug about persistent packages, somebody masked it
79 as a DUP for a bug numbered somewhere between 11000 - 12000 (we're at
80 54000 right now). I'm assuming similar feature requests have been
81 waiting for some time.
82
83 Best regards,
84