From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] s/disk space/drive space
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:00:46
1 On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:53:11 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM, vivo75@×××××.com <vivo75@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > > does "storage space" make everyone happy?
9 > rich0 is confused and looks over at the "storage space" he keeps his
10 > bicycles in...
11
12 So what colour would your storage space be?
13
14 Also, "persistent storage device space", anyone? Or "data storage
15 device space"?
16
17 Also, "drive space" would be dead wrong. A drive[1] is a device which
18 holds a storage medium (often a disk, as in, you know, a "disk drive").
19 "Solid-state drive" is even more confusing than "solid-state disk" (and
20 both are common parlance).
21
22 Obviously in the original context the medium isn't important at all. So
23 we should settle on "file system space" and hope we don't anger fierce
24 hordes of librarians who still use card-based library classification
25 index systems. We don't want to do that.
28 jer
31 [1]
32 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_IBM_magnetic_disk_drives#IBM_350