From: Mathy Vanvoorden <mathy@××××××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multiversion ebuilds
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 09:32:40
1 2018-05-12 14:20 GMT+02:00 Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de>:
2
3 just an idea for now. But what you think about multiversion ebuilds?
4 > Technically this could be realized with the following line in the ebuild
5 > itself:
6 > ```
7 > VERSIONS=( 3.0.11 3.0.12 3.1 )
8 > ```
11 I like the idea of multiversion ebuilds but why would you complicate the
12 process by putting it in a variable? Why not just use symlinks and have the
13 following:
14
15 foobar/foobar-1.x
16 foobar/foobar-1.1.ebuild -> foobar-1.x
17 foobar/foobar-1.2.ebuild -> foobar-1.x
18 foobar/foobar-2.x
19 foobar/foobar-2.1.ebuild -> foobar-2.x
20
21 It would result in the same outcome but it seems to me that a lot less work
22 (almost none?) is needed to implement it.
23
24 Benefits compared to your suggestion:
25 * you don't need to add the extra VERSIONS variable and related logic
26 * you don't need the set of rules
27 * you can have multiple multiversioned ebuilds per package
28
29 I'm not sure if adding the foobar-1.x file is allowed by portage.
30
31 You would still need logic like this for the keywording:
32
33 ```
34 > if [[ ${PV} == "3.1" ]] ; then
35 > KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86"