From: Sven Eden <sven.eden@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: initramfs required on Linux systems with separate /usr
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 15:26:56
1 Am Mittwoch, 25. September 2013, 11:05:24 schrieb Ian Stakenvicius:
2 > On 25/09/13 10:51 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
4 > >
5 > > wrote:
6 > >> William, I think what Tom was mentioning here is that he thinks
7 > >> a one-sentence answering the "Why" would be a good idea to have
8 > >> in the news item, so users that don't have a clue on all of these
9 > >> sep-/usr issues will get an idea of why the change is being
10 > >> made.
11 > >
12 > > How about something like: Due to many upstream changes properly
13 > > supporting a separate /usr without an initramfs has become
14 > > increasingly difficult - despite all our efforts it already breaks
15 > > in some exotic configurations, and this is a trend likely to grow
16 > > worse.
17 > >
18 > > Rich
19 >
20 > How about changing "[properly] supporting a separate /usr without an
21 > initramfs" to "supporting a system with /usr missing at boot time" ?
22 > More generic, indicates the actual problem better. Otherwise sounds
23 > great to me.
24
25 Maybe some links to articles that explain *why* the so called "UsrMerge" was
26 needed/done would be a good idea. I have a feeling that many people (still)
27 think a separate /usr partition would be something they needed badly, and that
28 it is all Lennards fault (and his wrecked systemd project) that a separate
29 /usr /suddenly/ needs an initrd. In fact, only really rare cornercases (*)
30 actually *need* a separate /usr partition, and none can't live with an initrd.
31
32 The most prominent sites would be, I believe,
33 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove/ and
34 http://http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
35 with references to
36 http://http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/ ?
37
38 Don't understand me wrong, please. I have always worked with a separate /usr
39 partition, and was extremely pissed off when, all of a sudden, I was told that
40 I'd need an initrd to support it further.
41 My thoughts where a bit like: "/But why? I need, that! It is highly useful,
42 because .... because ... erm.. (no idea...) ... Because I've *always* used it
43 that way!/"
44 In the end I found absolutely no reason for _not_ merging /usr into / and did
45 it. Result: No initrd and one partition less to take care of. I have never had
46 any disadvantage by that merge over a year ago on all my machines. And then I
47 took a closer look at all servers (debian, ranging from Sarge over Lenny to
48 Squeeze) at my workplace, and none ever even had a separate /usr.
49
50 Cheers
51
52 Sven