From: Brian Jones <briankjones99@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] questions/issues after first boot
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:39:21
1 ok. I'm doing a lot of RTFM, and I'm having lots o'
2 fun learning about all of this, but at the same time,
3 I'd like to understand why some of the things that
4 worked off the cd don't work now :(
5
6 Just so everyone knows, I'm running on hardware that I
7 started running linux on 3 1/2 years ago with no
8 problems. Here's my list:
9
10 1. My NIC used the ne2k-pci module on the
11 gentoo-rc6-r14 CD flawlessly. I compiled winbond
12 support into the kernel. I listed ne2k-pci in the
13 modules.autoload file. I put an alias ne2k-pci eth0
14 in the aliases file. Still, my NIC doesn't come up on
15 bootup, saying there's 'no such device'. 'cat
16 /proc/pci' shows the NIC as a Winbond ethernet
17 controller at IRQ 9. ifconfig is doing nothing for
18 me. I might be able to get this one eventually, but
19 some help would be good. My main point of confusion
20 is that I built winbond support INTO the kernel, not
21 as a module, so there's no module to load. That being
22 the case, why would the kernel detect the card, but
23 not the network scripts that enable it? Hmmm...
24
25 2. I'm getting the same error a million times while
26 the boot process is starting the various services:
27
28 '/etc/init.d/runscript.sh: 1: command not found'
29
30 I also get that same one with '2:' instead of '1:' a
31 bunch of times.
32
33 I'll be working on this stuff, but I do appreciate the
34 great help I've gotten so far.
35
36 PS - I'm not a lamer who doesn't know how to RTFM. So
37 far, 'man *mod*' hasn't really worked out for me -
38 though I learned a lot. If you know of a manpage
39 that'll help, I'll be happy to read it :)
40 /njcajun
41
43 Do You Yahoo!?
44 Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
45 http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/