From: Yuri Vasilevski <yvasilev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LICENSE and revbumps
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:34:31
1 On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:10:06 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > Should LICENSE changes require a revision bump?
5 >
6 > No, since it would be a waste of users' resources.
7 >
8 > For example, if a dev has missed a change from GPL-2 to GPL-3 (which I
9 > guess is a common case), would you really have users reinstall the
10 > package in this case? What would be the benefit?
11
12 As an example, the user is developing a program under a licence
13 compatible with GPL-3 but incompatible with GPL-2, he wants to extend
14 it with the functionality provided by this library (lets assume the
15 package in question is a library) and he is considering to statically
16 link some bits from it.
17
18 Now he can do the right way and read the whole web page from that
19 package and learn all about it and all the other candidates, or just
20 first apply a quick filter by checking the LICENCE file and then decide
21 to look for another candidate.
22
23 I personally would would go with the filtering approach to narrow my
24 search and reduce the time I need to spend looking.
25
26 As Another example, the user might statically link bits of the exact
27 same library against a GPL-2 (not a GPL-2 or latter) program, just
28 because he is misinformed by portage that the program is GPL-2 and then
29 he gets into a legal problem.
30
31 so, my point is that licences are very important in some environments
32 and to some people, and having an inconsistently can cause serious
33 legal problems to users. So it is very important to keep them in sync
34 in all tree of upstream, portage tree and vdb tree.
35
36 Yuri.