From: Christian Chen <oistrakh@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] installation snafus
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:39:23
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've just installed gentoo on a machine using the i686 rc5 CD. Overall
4 things look like they're working great, thanks for taking the time to
5 put together this distro!
6
7 I did run into a couple of installation snafus which I think can easily
8 be resolved via documentation. After rebooting my system after the
9 initial install, I found that I could not emerge any more packages off
10 the CD until I did two things:
11
12 1. Rebooted off of the install CD and copied the contents of
13 /usr/portage to my own /usr/portage. This copied over all the
14 ebuild scripts. Since I didn't want to copy over the packages
15 directory, which was also under /usr/portage, I had to do step two ...
16 2. After rebooting back into my own system, create a symbolic link from
17 my own /usr/portage/packages to /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/packages.
18
19 I figured this all out by re-tracing the steps in the installation
20 guide on your web site. The installation guide does not explicitly
21 explain that these steps are necessary, however. Copying over
22 the /usr/portage files in step 1 is implied by the step in the installation
23 guide where a symbolic link is made from /etc/make.profile to
24 /usr/portage/profiles/default, but it would have been much nicer to
25 have this step laid out specifically.
26
27 I'm still figuring out the system, so if there was a better way to do
28 this, please let me know!
29
30 Again, thanks for taking the time to create this distribution!
31
32 Christian Chen