From: Jake Bishop <jb3insf@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Hardware bug
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:40:31
1 Hello,
2 I installed a "build" snapshot, got everything setup for the basic
3 system. I am using
4 kernel 2.4.5-ac5 from source.I compiled it , installed modules etc.When
5 I rebooted
6 I get an error message that pops up in the console about every 10
7 seconds saying:
8 probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.
9 probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost -probably a
10 VIA686a motherboard
11
12 The odd thing is I had an Asus A7M266 with a VIA686b chipset and never
13 saw this message.I changed to an A7A266 with the ALI chipset so I could
14 use X with an ATI
15 radeon ( the mobo was cheaper than replacing the video card).
16 Is there a way I can stop the kernel mesg from broadcasting onto the
17 console?
18 It makes it very hard to do anything.
19 I see this message sometimes on Slackware when I do a dmesg | more, but
20 not
21 all the time.
22 Thanks
23 Jake