From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] package.deprecated to mark packages deprecated and report dependencies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 14:29:56
1 On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 07:10:27PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > leio asked me yesterday for the possibility of marking packages
5 > as deprecated, so that CI would issue warnings when other packages
6 > depend on them. I think that's quite a good idea, so I'd like to
7 > propose a simple implementation for it.
8 >
9 > The idea is to provide profiles/package.deprecated using the same format
10 > as package.mask. However, unlike the latter it wouldn't cause any user-
11 > visible results but only affect pkgcheck (and possibly repoman, if
12 > someone writes the check).
13 >
14 > Basically you'd put something like:
15 >
16 > # name <email> (date)
17 > # We don't like this package anymore, so we want to remove it ASAP.
18 > dev-foo/bar
19 >
20 > # name <email> (date)
21 > # Old slot is not nice at all.
22 > dev-bar/frobnicate:0.1
23 >
24 > # name <email> (date)
25 > # Nononono, don't use that.
26 > <dev-zoo/elephant-
27 > 11.0
28 >
29 > This would cause matching packages to be marked as deprecated. It
30 > wouldn't affect normal install behavior but pkgcheck/CI would complain
31 > if any package had a dependency that can only be satisfied
32 > by the deprecated packages.
33 >
34 > What do you think?
35
36 I like the idea, and I would also like to suggest a small enhancement.
37
38 I like the way /etc/portage/package.* work, and I think it is a good
39 idea to do this with profiles/package.deprecated.
40
41 If it is a file, use the file like you are describing, and if it is a
42 directory, combine all of the files in the directory and use that data.
43
44 William