From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Killing herds, again
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 12:58:03
1 Ühel kenal päeval, K, 03.04.2019 kell 19:35, kirjutas Michał Górny:
2 > My goal here is to make sure that we have clear and correct
3 > information
4 > about package maintainers. Most notable, if a package has no active
5 > maintainer, we really need to have 'up for grabs' issued and package
6 > marked as maintainer-needed, rather than hidden behind some project
7 > whose members may not even be aware of the fact that they're its
8 > maintainers.
11 > What do you think?
12
13 I agree with most of what was written in the original post, but
14 regarding this point I'd hate to see packages maintained by a project
15 that makes sense to be thrown into a generic maintainer-needed.
16 We need a maintainer-needed project status, and just improve the
17 tooling to notify this. So similar to what Alec said, but I think it's
18 fine to throw them into the generic bucket when the maintaining project
19 was indeed just herd-like.
20 But I don't think we should do that for projects where it makes sense
21 to have the packages grouped under a project. A recent example was/is
22 MATE; an older example is maybe enlightenment.
23 We could mark projects as maintainer-needed and have a script even add
24 <!-- maintainer-needed --> comments in metadata.xml (and a matching
25 script to remove those, once the project status changes); have any
26 maintainer-needed list generation consider with packages marked as
27 maintained by such a maintainer-needed project (with some potential
28 grouping of them together in the list), etc.
29 This could then also be used to signify huge staffing-needs, even if
30 someone is sort-of trying to take care of them within that project.
31
32 But, as said, I agree with almost everything else mentioned in the
36 Mart