From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPython 7.17 drops Python 3.6 support AKA upgrade reminder
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 18:02:56
1 On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:09 AM Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Samstag, 1. August 2020 12:15:18 CEST Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > Just based on what is already happening, it seems like most devs don't
5 > > really care what versions of python are supported by their packages,
6 > > let alone the dependencies of their packages.
7
8 So, to start, I'll apologize as my original reply was worded a bit strongly.
9
10 I'm happy to hear that bugs were filed this time. Obviously a lot of
11 fairly active devs were taken unaware by a bunch of package masks only
12 a few days ago, so that isn't being done consistently, but if we're
13 doing it going forward that is great.
16 > That's the definition of an unmaintained package to me.
17
18 I didn't say they were ignoring bugs. I said they didn't care about
19 python. It is ok not to care about python, or C, or glibc, or
20 whatever. They're a means to an end for most devs.
21
22 Some devs like to focus on a tool, and some devs focus on the software
23 that uses those tools. There is nothing wrong with either. The key
24 is communication, which didn't happen enough (IMO) the last time
25 around. Communication is what lets two people who have different
26 interests pool their resources. Yes, some will ignore
27 well-intentioned efforts to communicate, but most won't, so it is
28 usually worth the effort.
29
30 > In case anyone still didn't know that list:
31 > https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/36-to-37.txt
32
33 So, if there are bugs filed then this list isn't all that important,
34 since maintainers will find out via bugs. However, if you really want
35 lists like this to be directly useful to maintainers then you really
36 need to include maintainer names in them, because otherwise they're
37 very difficult to grep. I doubt most devs know off the top of their
38 head the list of packages they maintain.
39
40 Somebody will no doubt link (again) repology or whatever. Great, so
41 now we have two tables and we're asking humans to do a join on them.
42 Much better to just have the tools do this for us, and rather than
43 asking every dev to do it independently it makes more sense for the
44 first person that does it to just post the combined list.
45
46 In any case, this is moot if bugs were filed.
49 Rich