From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The Dreaded herd tag
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 02:49:39
1 I request that this tag be made optional in the metadata.xml DTD.
2
3 While ideally it is beneficial to have every package in a herd, in
4 practice this doesn't occur.
5
6 22:28 <@omp> $ herdstat -pq no-herd | wc -l
7 22:28 <@omp> 1819
8 22:28 <@omp> looks like a lot of fixing is needed :)
9
10 nearly 1/5 of our tree is herdless.
11
12 Is a "real herd" a real requirement of a package? I would say
13 realistically no. Thus the herd tag should be optional but highly
14 encouraged.
17 Why do I care?
18
19 Because people don't always put "no-herd", they can misspell it, they
20 put non-standard stuff in the herd tag, they put bug-wranglers in the
21 herd tag...etc...
22
23 It's difficult to search for packages without a herd when 'no-herd' is
24 really N different strings.
25
26 If your package is not in a herd, just leave the tag out. We can adjust
27 the searching tools to list packages with no herd tag.
28
29 -Alec Warner
30 antarus@g.o
31 --