From: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:49:16
2 Hash: SHA1
6 Marius Mauch wrote:
7 | On 09/22/04 Mike Frysinger wrote:
8 |
9 |
10 |>On Wednesday 22 September 2004 07:17 pm, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
11 |>
12
13 [...]
14
15 |>that said, what needs to be done here in order to get the ball rolling
16 |>? can we simply put together a function in flag-o-matic which will
17 |>check FEATURES and ARCH and gcc, and then just `append-flags
18 |>-fstack-protector` ? then in our system packages, just call this
19 |>function ...-mike
20 |
21 |
22 | What exactly would that FEATURE do ? If it really only affects CFLAGS I
23 | don't see the need for another FEATURE flag at all. We already have ~30
24 | different flags, please lets try to avoid another USE desaster by not
25 | adding new flags for trivial stuff.
26 |
27
28 Users could add -fstack-protector for global stack smash protection;
29 what's proposed here is to alter certain packages to use
30 - -fstack-protector based on their risk factor (the proposed measure of
31 risk factor is if they're daemons, or if they're SETUID (chmod +s)).
32
33 CFLAGS="-fstack-protector"
34
35 ***************************
36 *_ALL_PACKAGES____________*
37 *__(Stack_Smash_Protected)*
38 *_________________________*
39 *_________________________*
40 *_________________________*
41 *_________________________*
42 *_________________________*
43 ***************************
44
45 FEATURES="autossp"
46
47 ***************************
48 *_ALL_PACKAGES____________*
49 *_________________________*
50 *_________________________*
51 ****************__________*
52 *_DAEMONS______*__________*
53 *_(Stack_Smash *__________*
54 *___Protected)_*__________*
55 ***************************
56
57 Does this clearly enough illustrate the difference? Rather than
58 protecting everything including, say, ufed vim and gedit, only the
59 obvious players are given extra padding (it's more like lightweight
60 bioarmor; padding is clunky and reduces dexterity too much).
61
62 This is easily compared to a football game: FEATURES="autossp" protects
63 the players; while CFLAGS="-fstack-protector" protects the players,
64 referee, cheerleaders, crowd, announcers, and sponsors. It's pretty
65 obvious you don't want two 300 pound giants ramming into each other with
66 no protection; it's not so obvious that the football might get kicked
67 too far and hit someone in the crowd in the jaw. Those that fear this
68 bring their own damn padding.
69
70 | Marius
71 |
72
73 - --
74 All content of all messages exchanged herein are left in the
75 Public Domain, unless otherwise explicitly stated.
76
87 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list