From: Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@×××.org>
To: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Duplicates - List Problem [Re: [gentoo-dev] masked packages in system ..]
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 02:21:12
1 On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 09:51:08AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
2 > What's going on with the duplicates on this list? The below message has
3 > arrived twice, one almost 10 hours after the first.
4
5 Most likely the list server believed the message may not have been
6 delivered, so it sent the message a second time on the assumption that two
7 copies of the message is better than none. The reason it thinks this can
8 be either something on its end or on yours.
11 If you want no duplicates (note that this will cause you to only get one
12 copy of messages that are sent both to you and to the list, as this
13 message is), you can use this very simple procmail recipe:
14
15 :0 Wh: msgid.lock
16 | formail -D 8192 ${PMDIR}/msgid.cache
17
18 I actually have this recipe applied after I filter lists into seperate
19 Maildirs - before list filtering I use a modified version which applies
20 only to mailing lists, thereby allowing group replies to be seen in both
21 my inbox and the list. If you want to do that, copy this recipe to
22 somewhere before you filter lists and change the cache and lock file
23 names. Then add between the two lines above this condition line, or one
24 rather like it which catches all mailing lists you receive:
25
26 * (^(((X-)?Mailing-List)|List-Id):)
27
28 Now if only spam were this easy to catch and kill.. ;)
31 Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@×××.org> If this sig were funny...
32
33 <Culus> there is 150 meg in the /tmp dir! DEAR LORD