From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies default to accept any slot value acceptable (:*), can we default to :0 instead?
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:19:45
1 >>>>> On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > If you think that B isn't the empty set, it is trivial for you to
4 > demonstrate that this is the case. Simply give me a single example of
5 > a situation where:
6 > 1. It makes sense for a dep to use a new slot.
7 > 2. It makes sense for all of its reverse deps to automatically use
8 > the new slot without any further intervention by the individual
9 > reverse dep maintainers.
10
11 app-editors/emacs, to start with.
12
13 If you go through the list of about 400 packages that have more than
14 one slot (out of 17000 packages in the portage tree), I'm sure you'll
15 find many more that fall in B. On first glance, only a minor part of
16 these 400 seem to be libraries.
17
18 Ulrich