From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild documentation, needs updates?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:11:25
1 Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> This feature is not available in stable portage, which is why its not
5 >> documented. And yes there are many other features that lack
6 >> documentation.
7 >
8 > But should it not be documented in the ebuild man files which come
9 > with the versions of portage which *do* support the feature? I know
10 > that it is not always done, but when new features/switches/options are
11 > added to any program, should the man (or info, pod etc) file not be
12 > updated to include them?
13
14 Offhand, maybe ;)
15
16 The problem we have is people read it in the manpage and then tend to
17 use it in our tree. Putting this in the tree will blow up anything
18 trying to use it (except for perhaps the bsd tree, since they
19 occasionally set a minimum portage version, but being ~arch all the time
20 they have that particular advantage).
21
22 So generally things are documented as they become supported; in this
23 case it will be documented when EAPI is bumped (I assume anyway, there
24 has been discussion that certain items in DEPEND aren't part of a given
25 EAPI specification, but I'll spare you the details).
26
27 If you are using an overlay, you should be able to use this
28 functionality; assuming all overlay consumers have a high enough
29 portage. If they aren't, it will die.
30
31 Portage features themselves are tracked via portage-commits, bugs, and
32 svn (ie if you want to know when portage gained this support, we suggest
33 you look there).
34
35 If you look in the NEWS file in trunk:
36 News (mainly features/major bug fixes)
37
38 portage-2.1.2
40 * DEPEND atoms support SLOT dependencies of the form
41 ${CATEGORY}/${PN}:${SLOT}.
42
43 Thanks,
44 Alec Warner