From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:24:22
1 @council: We need to discuss ways to improve the current policy. See below.
2
3 On 06/07/11 23:09, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 16:47:29 Dane Smith wrote:
5 >> To be perfectly blunt, no small part of what caused this current fiasco
6 >> was this exact attitude. I don't like the current policy either, it's
7 >> far too wide. However, if you go back and look at why it even *got* to
8 >> council, it was because you (and others), decided that they weren't
9 >> going to give any regard to the requests of some of their fellow devs
10 >> about ChangeLogging removals.
11 It was not only that, and the situation escalated as people tried to
12 lawyer around instead of doing something productive like writing a perl
13 script to wrap the "nonsense" so they can ignore it.
14
15 Result was an unambiguous policy so that no lawyering happens and all
16 ChangeLogs make sense.
19 > how is this relevant at all ? i dont find value in these entries, other
20 > people do. my attitude towards how worthless they are has 0 bearing on the
21 > policy towards creating it.
22
23 So you say that you want to follow the rules but accidentally forgot it?
24
25 Since it has caused so much trouble I'd like to see it discussed and
26 improved by the council. I disagreed with the initial strict wording,
27 and I think the fallout has shown that we need to find a common ground
28 so that no one feels he has to ignore the rules.
29
30 > if you want useless information, then automate it. there's no reason at all
31 > to not do so. i prefer to keep useful information in the changelogs of
32 > packages i maintain without cluttering up with noise.
33 > -mike
34
35 Here's the problem. Useful depends a lot on the context.
36 Sometimes I only care about a new addition. Sometimes I care about when
37 and how a patch was introduced. Sometimes I care about removals because
38 some monkey has broken things for me.
39
40 In all cases I want one resource to look at, viewcvs is a horrible and
41 slow interface. So it does make sense to keep changelogs filled with
42 information - maybe automation is needed, I don't have a strong opinion
43 either way. But don't make me do more work because you are lazy, that
44 never ends well.
47 Patrick Lauer http://service.gentooexperimental.org
48
49 Gentoo Council Member and Evangelist
50 Part of Gentoo Benchmarks, Forensics, PostgreSQL, KDE herds