From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-www Being Retired
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:09:31
1 On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 12:48, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > I'll shortly be starting work on moving apache-related packages.
3 >
4 > To make life easier for everyone - at the expense of a one-off bit of pain -
5 > I'm thinking of splitting the apache packages into TWO categories:
6 >
7 > - www-apache1 for apache1 packages
8 > - www-apache2 for apache2 packages
9 >
10 > This will be a giant leap towards getting rid of the apache USE flag pain, and
11 > the associated noise / bugs that result from this.
12
13 If there's a way to get portage to work better without this kind of
14 splitting, I'd much rather see that happen. Perhaps SLOTting by what
15 it's built for (apache-1/2)? I'm not real clear on the current
16 situation.
17
18 Splitting in this way really goes against the whole idea of portage
19 allowing us to integrate versioned packages into one using a combination
20 of USE flags, SLOTs and other tools.
21 --
22 Donnie Berkholz
23 Gentoo Linux