From: Aron Griffis <aron.griffis@××××××.com>
To: skinny bastard <skin_job@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo 1.0rc5 installation
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 19:11:09
1 skinny bastard wrote: [Fri Sep 21 2001, 06:00:02PM EDT]
2 > I'm installing from the i686 full install iso I obtained from the
3 > France mirror. Once reaching the point of installing the packages,
4 > I discovered that my cd was bad. I'm currently obtaining the iso again
5 > to burn a new cd, but I had one question. Using the packaging system
6 > installed, is it feasable to emerge all packages in the ..../All
7 > directory on the cd? I'm not an advanced user, and so I'm having
8 > difficulty determining which packages are neccessary. If it is not
9 > going to be a good idea to install all the packages, then I may just
10 > go through them one-by one and attemp to make a best-guess.
11
12 I wouldn't recommend that, but you could try it. Gentoo's dependency
13 system is good enough that you can simply choose one of the larger
14 packages (for instance gnome-core), emerge it, and the plethora of
15 dependencies will be automatically installed.
16
17 > I am rather excited, by the way, about installing this distribution.
18 > After using other more popular ones for several months, I was dismayed
19 > at the number of bugs that are rampant. I know that as long as new
20 > features are added, bugs will keep appearing, but I'm hoping to bring
21 > that to a minimum.
22
23 Great! Hope you like it. Beware that Gentoo is still in prerelease
24 stages, so it's far from bug free. But it's shaping up well and has
25 lots of potential.
26
27 Aron