From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IBTK/GATOS
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:58:57
1 On Monday 23 July 2001 18:40, you wrote:
2 > I'm working on an ebuild for GATOS which uses the ibtk gui library.
3 >
4 > It looks like the only way to get the sources for GATOS & IBTK is by CVS.
5 > Is there a way to use cvs as a SRC_URI? CVS doesn't seem to be a supported
6 > URI from what I saw in the RFC. For now I've grabbed it myself, built
7 > tar.bz2s and put them on my apache server.
8
9 We've discussed using cvs/cvsup/rsync/whatever as SRC_URI and for now it's
10 far away down on the todo list.
11
12 The reason: cvs-based builds do not have distinct versions (not ones that
13 change with every cvs revision), they have timestamps and individual file
14 revisions instead. So we can't compare them with std. non-cvs releases and
15 see which one is newer.
16
17 If you must use cvs, try to get a URL for a specific snapshot of a specific
18 date. If you can't, write a script to make cvs download a *specific* revision
19 and tar it to keep in distfiles. Doing the same wih the latest cvs revision
20 is more or less deprecated.
24 Dan Armak
25 Gentoo Linux Developer
26 Matan, Israel