From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] automated extended information gathering
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 00:55:22
1 On 7/8/07, Kevin Lacquement <kevin@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > >
7 > > 5) considering 3), I'd rather see such information be specified by
8 > > ebuilds somehow, not a global file (think about overlays). Maybe by
9 > > installing a script in a specific location or so.
10 > >
11 > > Marius
12 > How about adding another function to the ebuild format? pkg_getinfo()?
13 >
14 > Kevin
18 Implementation details wise, I would like to see packages have
19 possibly 2 functions,
20 1: Info, and 2: Check.
21 Reason Being that you wont be able to fetch installation status info
22 on a package thats not installed, and if a package is failing to
23 install, you're more likely wanting to check the status of the things
24 it depends on, not the package itself.
25
26 Check would contain manual tests for a given package, thats either
27 installed or not installed ,as well as names of packages to run info
28 on.
29
30 Info would be more usefull in diagnosing mis-installed packages or
31 packages that failed to run properly despite being compiled and
32 installed without a hitch ( it happens )
33
34 ( These could even be good enough to help the user self-diagnose the
35 problem, a feature I consider wonderfully intuitive and not in any
36 other distribution yet ;) )
37
38 pkg_check()
39 {
40 if ( uses blah )
41 {
42 some_basic_check();
43 pkg_getinfo_installed( x11-wm/blah );
44 }
45
46 }
49 I may be on to a good thing, I may be retarded, but I'd rather
50 provide something that could be a potentially good thing with the risk
51 of being retarded than to have hidden that good thing. ;)
55 Kent
56 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
57 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
58 --
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list