From: Benjamin Podszun <ben@××××××××××××××.de>
To: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
Cc: absinthe@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-php/mod_php-4.3.1-r1 compile fails
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:18:33
1 Actually the PHP guys say that it's on the one hand a problem with
2 constant changes in the apache-api and on the other hand with making PHP
3 work with the multi-threaded mpms.
4
5 Doesn't matter for me, since I need apache only in combination with php.
6 And you cannot rely on that with every apache2-configuration (read:
7 mpm).
8
9 Apart from that I don't see that problem in merging a masked package, if
10 you're keen on apache2 ;)
11
12 Dylan:
13 We could chat a little about what Suse and RedHat thinks is
14 production-ready (libc, gcc, kde .. They seem to love preleases..).
15 Yes, apache2 is out and stable. I just pointed out that a lot of users
16 will get into trouble if we make it the standard-httpd. Reasons: See
17 above. If apache2 is unmasked and coexists with apache1.3 : Fine.
18 If you want to upgrade (read: replace) 1.3: No, that's not an option for
19 a lot of production environments.
20
21 just my humble opinion.
22 Ben