From: Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 20:54:57
1 On 4/20/20 8:27 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > IMO it isn't really worth worrying about, because right now the main
3 > limitation seems to be a lack of people working on projects, not 25
4 > devs who each want to re-implement go their own way...
5
6 This is another reason I think is so important the overlays in Gentoo.
7
8 ::gentoo overlay can be the most stricter one.
9
10 It is a fact that is more feasible to deliver software in overlays as
11 already happen (for example gitlab, science stuff, ...).
12
13 But should ::gentoo be confined to GNU, Linux and other OS base stuff?
14
15 Lets look into a specific case for a distro where everything should be
16 packaged and placed in an universal repository (crazy debian):
17
18 https://packages.debian.org/buster/snapd
19
20 There are very radical package pattern people there and looking into
21 snapd we can see that upstream just regarded the package integration,
22 bundling all necessary dependencies into it. So, even there, we can't
23 find all the required go dependencies packaged... Actually, the
24 dependencies are only those that undoubtedly could appear on ::gentoo.
25
26 IMHO, there are many software that doesn't need to be in a ebuild, but
27 the base pieces such as go, snapd, docker-ce, docker engine, are some
28 examples of go tools that we need to have available in ::gentoo. The
29 same happens for other platforms such as those mentioned in the subject
30 of this email.
31
32 In conclusion, I think that all the trouble about licenses and security
33 will be always a growing challenge and a distro should adapt their tools
34 to allow software being available in a better way than upstream
35 provided. I think that the point here is about:
36 - how to bring the software to an OS
37 - how to manage the software in a better way
38 - share knowledge and magnetize the community so Gentoo can grow and
39 show how is so useful helping to deliver better software
40
41 I'm very pleased for Gentoo!