From: Stefan Sperling <stefan@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gcc-3.3.5.20050110-r1 for stable
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:06:34
1 On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 03:22:38PM +0200, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Anyway the question is a bit different:
3 > There are "often" problem of various kind that regard the toolchain,
4 > varying from linkage, paths, environmental variables ...
5 > Everytime one of this happen users (and probably devs ;) have a Gentoo
6 > in a quite unusable state.
7 > My question is:
8 > can we fight against this in any way ?
9 > if yes what is needed (dev or portage or user side) ?
10
11 More testing. I for one did not have a problem at all
12 upgrading to gcc-3.3.5.20050130-r1 on a stable system when mike
13 requested testing.
14 When it actually went stable, problems suddenly showed up on
15 other peoples' machines. Had they been testing as well, these
16 errors would have been caught before going stable.
17
18 One advantage (or, in this case, problem) of gentoo is that the
19 system is highly customizable. A lot of errors only show up in
20 certain configurations. So the more people test things and report
21 errors, the more stable the system (and the toolchain) becomes.
22 --
23 stefan PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list