From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Considering dropping the hardened toolchain (A Quantitive Approach)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:27:34
1 On сб, 2004-09-18 at 20:01, Thierry Carrez wrote:
2 > Alexander Gabert wrote:
3 >
4 > > But, in my eyes, you are underestimating the negative impact of that
5 > > decision on people
6 > > successfully using the solution.
7 > >
8 > > Do you need success stories for letting it continue?
9 > > Do you need mails of people that tell you: good job, things broke left and
10 > > right of me, but i am a proud owner of a hardened gcc.
11 > >
12 > > You and me know that you will never get such mails.
13 >
14 > It works, it's great, it never failed for me, and I think it's a great
15 > asset to have in a metadistribution environment like Gentoo.
16 >
17 > Maybe there is a problem of scope. It's probably too much work to have
18 > it work/documented for the default user to use on a general-purpose
19 > workstation, where xfree/mplayer/whatever will break or where the user
20 > won't read the F manual. Maybe the scope should be server/router
21 > environments only, so that the number of packages to check and support
22 > would be more reasonable and the user level would be higher...
23 Hi All,
24 i've been using hardened platform for about a year. Firstly through
25 CFLAGS in make.conf, later by using hardened toolchain.
26 It's not a server, something special just my only home computer, i use
27 it for everything - including music, video etc.
28 Quite always there is a price u have to pay to use some things. Example
29 is that i used Xorg compiled static to get X on my desktop. Didn't have
30 3-D accel. but it worked, and whats more i was using full PaX-protection
31 + grsec2 and hardened GCC.
32 Don't know about the others but i have maybe no more then 10 bugs for a
33 month, more or less (rarely due to using hardened). Frankly sometimes
34 ever forget that i'm using a hardened system.
35 It's true for some time there are more and longer standing (nasty
36 hardened) bugs, but hope later there will be less, the life isn't always
37 nice.
38 PS: about the help needed, sorry for the moment can't help (no asm
39 experience, nor ELF-binaries knowledge etc). Maybe some documentation or
40 testing, don't know.
41 Truly think hardened is a great thing in Gentoo and it works, just see
42 all major hardened projects (grsec2, RSBAC, SElinux) are here.
43 Just my experience and point of view.
44 Thanks
45 Rumen