From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 03:33:04
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:57:42 +0100
3 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > On Thursday 05 February 2004 21:34, Spider wrote:
6 > > begin quote
7 > > On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:58:01 +0100
8 > > Can you explain more? When would LIBVER be set? by whom? (developer?
9 > > no thanks.. :P ) and woudn't there need to be one LIBVER per .so
10 > > file that a package installs?
11 >
12 > In most cases we could probably derive it automatically from the
13 > soname of a library, in special cases LIBVER would need to be set.
14 > Basically the idea breaks through the one LIBVER per .so by needing a
15 > developer to define a different LIBVER when an incompatible library
16 > change is introduced in the package (in any file) (the contents of
17 > LIBVER don't matter). In some cases this will be automatically
18 > detected, in some cases not, in which the developer needs to fix this.
22 I'm still not sure I actually understand how this would hang about.
23 LIBVER would be created for the package at post-compile time, and would
24 refer to its own contents... right?
25
26 This could work, but in cases like :
27 foolib.so.0 -> foolib.so.0.5.4
28
29 Which is LIBVER? 0, or 0.5.4 ? since if applications link to .so.0
30 the binaries will break if LIBVER is 0.5.4 (due to dependencies) but if
31 it provides both, and a program links to the hard minor (0.5.4) ,
32 LIBVER would break if it was "0" ...
33
34 This falls on the fact that all packages don't necessarily link to the
35 same LIBVER , some may link to .so.0, others may be pickier and link to
36 `foolib.so.0.5.4` .. Not a pretty situation.
37
38 <SNIP>
41 > That would be "enhanced rpm style", which would probably work too. It
42 > would however not solve the problem of determining which versions are
43 > actually compatible (one could use sonames for that)
44
45 No, that wouldn't be solved , but you'd at least have a "safety net"
46 that catches you when you fall down to binaries. IE installing
47 "foopack" won't be allowed if the contents wouldn't work (well, override
48 flags, but I think that would be a bad thing. simply not having a
49 --force would avoid some user-generated problems here ;)
54 > > and yes. its dirty. its rpmish. and I'd love to see a better
55 > > thing. however, its better than the thing we have currently.
56 >
57 > Anything is better than nothing (which we have now) ;-)
58
59 hehe :)
62 > > Any ideas?
63 > Don't have binary packages ;-)
64
65 not very practical IMO. computers aren't that fast, yet. (and with
66 software like KDE, Mozilla, qt, OpenOffice.. May never be)
67
68 //Spider
71 begin .signature
72 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
74 end