From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 15:53:11
1 On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 10:36:51 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/02/2017 10:06 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
5 > > On 02/02/2017 03:11 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 > >> Can we discourage IUSE defaults except for #1 and #2? I'm equally
7 > >> guilty of #3 and #4, but I now regret them. I would also like to
8 > >> see explanations in metadata.xml of why +flags are on by default.
9 > >
10 > > This presumes that the goal is minimal system in all cases, rather
11 > > than a good user experience for inter alia a desktop system or a
12 > > server-system. If a user requires a minimal system for whatever
13 > > reason (s)he is likely more prepared to understand the choices than
14 > > the average user.
15 >
16 > I'm not saying that we should have a minimal experience
17 > out-of-the-box, only that the base profile should result in an
18 > effectively-minimal set of USE flags. Adding IUSE defaults is
19 > essentially adding defaults to the base profile. Why does
20 > dev-java/icedtea try to pull in GTK (and thus X) on a headless
21 > server? That stuff belongs in a desktop profile, not in the base one.
22
23 I can appreciate the frustration with icedtea. It's complicated by the
24 fact that I made it a somewhat negative USE flag, headless-awt. This
25 decision wasn't taken lightly. USE=X didn't really make sense any more
26 so I changed it to USE=awt but upstream, who does most of the ebuild
27 work, objected on the basis that AWT is always present, even on
28 headless systems. He wanted USE=headless as that is the commonly used
29 term but there was also JavaFX to consider so I compromised with
30 headless-awt. There was the expected handful of complaints from USE=-*
31 users initially but I haven't heard anything regarding this in a long
32 time. I suppose I could enable headless-awt by default and disable it
33 in the desktop profile but I suspect it'll still trip somebody up.
36 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
37 Gentoo Linux Developer