From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:55:27
1 On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 14:03:07 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 09/02/2012 12:52 PM, Vaeth wrote:
5 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> If I thought that bumping the EAPI would make my life as a
8 > >> maintainer easier I'd just do it - I wouldn't need a policy to
9 > >> tell me to do it.
10 > >
11 > > It is not only so much a question of whether it helps you as a
12 > > maintainer but more whether it helps the user. And this is the case
13 > > for all EAPIs which currently exist.
14 > >
15 > > I am surprised that nobody mentioned the following example:
16 > >
17 > > One of the arguments to introduce the user-patching code into EAPI=5
18 > > was that it should work for all packages - not randomly on some but
19 > > not on others. So if in the course of time not all packages are
20 > > bumped to at least EAPI=5, this goal cannot be reached by
21 > > introducing the feature into the EAPI.
22 >
23 > global epatch_user has a downside which I think was not even really
24 > discussed here unless I missed something. It could introduce many
25 > bogus bug reports which are caused by user-applied patches, cause
26 > it's easier now and you don't need to do it in an overlay.
27 > The maintainer will need to catch this and asking which repo the
28 > bugreporter did use is not sufficient. He will need the build log and
29 > check if user patches got applied there.
30
31 it is probably easy to add a big warning 'user patches have been
32 applied' when emerge bails out because a build failed