From: Josh Glover <jmglov@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-web-user] Hardened PHP now in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:30:41
1 Quoth foser (Wed 2004-05-19 01:30:00PM +0200):
2
3 > On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 21:08 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm pro-choice, and do not agree with the idea of aggregating USE flags just
6 > > because they sound similar.
7 >
8 > The second time you mention choice. I guess we know what Gentoo is about
9 > by now, the 'choice' argument is too often used just to end criticism.
10 >
11 > Choice is an illusion, if you there's too much choice it is no use to
12 > anyone anymore, because nobody really knows what it is all about. This
13 > is already the case with the loads of USE flags/portage options/etc. we
14 > have. Gentoo shouldn't be about choice for the sake of it, it should be
15 > about simplicity/managability : stuff that works. It's a trade-off.
16
17 That is ridiculous. Speaking from personal experience, choice is exactly
18 what drew me to Gentoo--I could have it *just* how I wanted it. Thus,
19 choice is *not* an illusion, it is vital to many advanced users who
20 have chosen Gentoo for just that reason.
21
22 The way to achieve "simplicity/managability : stuff that works" is
23 through reasonable defaults. Look at all the USE flags that xfree or
24 xemacs use. Quite a glut. However, the defaults are almost always what
25 I need. If I care enough, I can run 'equery uses' to find out what the
26 more esoteric flags do, and select or deselect flags based on that.
27
28 If I want things to Just Work(TM), I accept the Gentoo defaults,
29 knowing that the devs would never lead me down the wrong path. :)
33 Josh Glover
34
35 Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
36 Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)
37
38 GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B 07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
39 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103