From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stable sys-devel/gcc USE flag changes
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:32:30
1 On 01/17/2013 09:52 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 >>
3 >> I strongly believe that it shouldn't; nevertheless, it does.
4 >
5 > You can avoid this by adding --select=n to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS. Then, if
6 > you want to add something to world, use --select (or -w in latest
7 > portage which isn't marked stable yet).
8
9 This works by moving the badness from `emerge -u` to `emerge`. In either
10 case, to keep your world file accurate, you have to remember to type an
11 additional useless parameter every time you run the command. When you're
12 running depclean, you have to cross your fingers and hope nobody forgot
13 the magic --dont-break-world parameter.
14
15 I've "solved" this by installing every single package as a dependency
16 of something in our company repo. So we emerge
17 dev-util/mike_wants_to_be_able_to_run_strace_on_apache (depending on
18 strace) instead of dev-util/strace. This makes it obvious what can be
19 removed; we don't have normal packages listed in the world file, so if
20 you see one, it was a mistake.
21
22 But it's not a very good solution,
23
24 * It's a lot of work
25
26 * I have to be the gatekeeper for every package install on every
27 server
28
29 * It's stupid