From: Encoding could not be reliably detected. Contents not available.
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install w/o CD
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:52:06
1 I've successfully used this process (tftp) to install onto a slim Sony Vaio
2 without buying their (overpriced, proprietary) pcmcia CD-ROM:
3
4 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/altinstall.html
10 "Will Glynn" <delta407@×××××××××××××××.net> on 04/17/2002 12:45:05 PM
11
12 Please respond to gentoo-dev@g.o
13
14 To: gentoo-dev@g.o
15 cc: (bcc: Julian Urquijo/NYSO/US)
16 Subject: [gentoo-dev] Install w/o CD
21 I was recently (40 minutes ago) placed in a position where I wanted to
22 install Gentoo on an existing Linux computer. But... I didn't have a Gentoo
23 CD, nor did I have access to a burner. I'm sure that there are others who
24 are in this same position but would still like to use Gentoo.
25
26 ...no, this e-mail isn't asking for help. How I did this may be obvious to
27 some of you, but it took me a good half hour to figure out. I booted up the
28 computer, downloaded the 16 MB ISO, did a mount -o loop .iso gentoocd/ and
29 copied the contents into /boot/gentoo. The machine was running grub, so I
30 added the following to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
31
32 title Gentoo Linux Setup
33 kernel /gentoo/isolinux/kernel devfs=nomount vga=normal
34 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=22000 root=/dev/ram0 rw
35 initrd /gentoo/isolinux/rescue.gz
36
37 Then I rebooted and the world was happy. (After trying to figure out why it
38 didn't work for half an hour, that is. But it works now, anyway.) This
39 seems like a reasonable way to load Gentoo without writing to a CD-R, which
40 some people might find useful.
41
42 --delta407
46 gentoo-dev mailing list