From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:26:42
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 02:42 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have founded a new Gentoo Project for the Gentoo User Overlay.
5 >
6 > The intention is to give contributors a single place to put their ebuilds -
7 > a place where they can be downloaded, updated and be moved to portage more
8 > easily than through bugzilla. It is also a good place for users who would
9 > like to become developers to learn how to commit and how to not break the
10 > tree.
11
12 We already *have* a single place. It is bugzilla.
13
14 Wasn't it decided that we would *not* end up with some giant overlay
15 that houses all of the non-tree stuff before the overlays project was
16 brought into being? Does this not completely fly in the face of that?
17
18 > You can find the project page as a subproject of the overlays project [1]
19 >
20 > The overlay is available on overlays.gentoo.org [2]
21 >
22 > Initially jokey and myself will be working on this. The current focus is to
23 > migrate ebuilds from bugzilla into the overlay and to get contributors to
24 > commit their changes to the overlay instead of updating the bugzilla every
25 > time.
26
27 Please keep the games bugs in bugzilla. Making this change is a direct
28 change in games team policy without any prior notice to the games team
29 and without our permission.
30
31 > Anyone who wants to help, please stop by in #gentoo-overlays @ freenode
32 >
33 > [1] http://gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/sunrise
34 > [2] http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/sunrise
35 >
36 > - Stefan
37 >
38 > PS: This is an announcement - No flamewars allowed
39
40 Perhaps you should have discussed this before going and making an
41 assumption for the entire developer pool.
42
43 The idea itself isn't so bad as the fact that you've now essentially
44 taken it upon yourself to decide how *every single one of us* is going
45 to accept ebuilds from now on without any form of discussion.
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
50 x86 Architecture Team
51 Games - Developer