From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 12:32:23
1 Stuart Longland posted <4274B10C.5060507@××××××××××××××××××.org>,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 01 May 2005 20:35:56 +1000:
3
4 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 >> How long are all those non-cascaded profiles going to stick around? They
6 >> make profile changes a mess for anyone who wants to do something crazy
7 >> like change default USE flags for everyone. (Who would ever need to do
8 >> that?!?!)
9 >
10 > I was just thinking this myself. Are there any users still using Gentoo
11 > Linux 1.4 or 2004.0?
12
13 I know the default-amd64-2004.2/deprecated file says it's subject to
14 removal after 2005.07.01. I don't remember the date of the last time this
15 discussion came up (tho I do remember someone posted a nice dependency map
16 of what profiles depended on what, nice graphic that was!), but I believe
17 the deprecated files appeared in several of those legacy "flat" profiles
18 as a result thereof.
19
20 Of course, note that the amd64 arch tends to be a bit more forward leaning
21 than others, including x86, with its larger user base including a decent
22 segment of conservative "enterprise", or as I'd personally opine,
23 "legacy", users, so 2004.2 for amd64 probably roughly equates to 2004.0
24 for x86. I really can't imagine anyone still on 1.4 that'd be attracted
25 to Gentoo in the first place, but I'm sure in the large x86 base at least,
26 there are likely to be some.
27
28 Assuming the amd64 profile above was deprecated at about the same time as
29 the others, July 1st should be a good time to remove them all. For
30 those without a specific deadline date in them (I checked the mentioned
31 cobalt-mips-2004.1, no date there), but that have been deprecated for some
32 time, sticking the July 1st date notice in them would be a useful thing to
33 do, for any that might still be using them. That still gives them ~60
34 days notice, plus what they had b4 the date was put in.
35
36 Of course, should there be dates in any deprecated files already there,
37 with said dates passed, shoot 'em now and get 'em out of their misery! <g>
38
39 I run amd64, so maybe I'm partial, but I certainly like the set date
40 thing. IMO all archs should have a profile deprecation time policy, and
41 stick dates in their deprecated files as appropriate. IIRC for amd64,
42 it's something like 6 or 8 months from the first appearance of the
43 deprecated file, which is then post-dated appropriately, save for
44 "development" profiles, which usually come with a short deprecation time
45 warning (six weeks notice I believe I saw in one) in them from the
46 beginning. However, anyone bleeding edge enough to be using "development"
47 profiles should in practice have moved on to the /next/ profile, usually
48 the following official release, long before the deprecation notice
49 appears, anyway. I know that's always been the case here.
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
55 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list