From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Javier Marcet <jmarcet@×××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: wigren@××××.se, liverbugg@××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MythTV problem with QT's sql plugin
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:17:28
1 On Wednesday 20 November 2002 06:07 am, Javier Marcet wrote:
2
3 > Whenever I try to run any mythtv's binaries, I get the following error:
4 >
5 > QSqlDatabase warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
6 > QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
7 > couldn't open db
8 >
9 > I asked on the MythTV's mailing list, and it seems a problem to locate
10 > libqsqlmysql.so, I have it on /usr/qt/3/plugins/sqldrivers, which is the
11 > default on Gentoo if you compile QT with sql support (mysql USE flag).
12 > I also have the QTDIR envvar correctly set, and tried moving around the
13 > library, but still get the same problem.
14 >
15 > Has anyone managed to at least run any of the MythTV's programs?
16
17 YES!
18
19 I had the exact same problem (posted to the forums), when I tried to run
20 ./setup the first time.
21
22 I couldn't understand what was going on because I also had mysql in the USE
23 variable of my /etc/make.conf, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I could
24 easilly find the mysql module libraries under /usr/qt/3, yet they didn't seem
25 to work. Very weird. In any event, it turned out that despite my USE
26 including mysql, and despite building the module, qt didn't build with mysql
27 quite right, for whatever reason (perhaps odbc, postgres, or some other USE
28 setting conflicted or confused it).
29
30 As a 'hail mary' attempt, I remerged qt 3.1.0 as follows:
31
32 prompt# USE="gif mysql opengl cups" emerge qt
33
34 (note that the ebuild IUSE is set to "gif nas odbc mysql opengl postgres cups"
35 ... I explicitly avoided other database includes that might conflict or
36 confuse mysql support).
37
38 After doing this, I was able to run ./setup, and the error you described
39 disappeared! As a result, I have mythtv running after a fashion. Note that
40 I built mythtv by hand ... I haven't tried your ebuild yet.
41
42 mythtv (built by hand) is very cool, but still is a little buggy.
43 * I recorded a show, but although the nuppel file exists (in a subdir off my
44 home directory, reflected in the mythtv config file settings.txt) and is a
45 size consistent with an hour recording, it does not appear in any of the play
46 recording or delete recording lists. mythmusic works great, as does
47 myth(photo? I'm not at home to check the module name). Haven't tried
48 mythgame yet, though I do have it installed.
49
50 [ the next two are important, as I want to use a mythtv like interface on an
51 HTPC connected to a 1280x720 HDTV via the dvi interface, but mythtv, or
52 portions thereof, appear to be hardcoded for 640x480 ]
53 * watch tv scales to the full screen (1920x1200 in my case), but is so choppy
54 and slow as to be unwatchable, and so unresponsive one cannot get back out of
55 it. killing X will kill most (but not all) mythtv processes. This is in
56 stark constrast to tvtime, which scales to 1920x1200 beautifully, with
57 perfect, fast playback. I assume it is an xv vs. sdl thing ... it would be
58 nice if mythtv could be made to use an arbitary player (mplayer) and viewer
59 (tvtime), as there are specialized tools for that sort of thing that are
60 excellent. Tvtime's deinterlacing in particular absolutely rocks.
61 * mythtv menu screens limited to 640x480, appearing as a non-managed window in
62 the upper left quadrant.
63
64 * mythtv assumes full screen mode - it would be nice to be able to run it as
65 an easy gui frontend for playing music, watching video in a window, etc while
66 using the desktop for other work, as a choice IN ADDITION to full screen
67 "television" mode.
68 * mythtv's main process will not die, even with kill -9s. I end up having to
69 reboot to clear out my process table after running mythtv.
70
71 I'm interested in your ebuild ... I ended up using cpan by hand to get the
72 perl modules, since building mythtv by hand didn't seem to find the emerged
73 perl modules. I'm curious to see how you fixed that.
74
75 Anyway, hope this helps you get your mythtv running!
76
77 Jean.
82 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list