From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLI Officially Deprecated
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:55:34
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 090114 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> On 15:23 Wed 14 Jan 2009, Ben de Groot wrote:
4 >>> Also, will we have an announcement on the www.gentoo.org frontpage?
5 >>> This seems to me an important enough issue to inform our users about.
6 >> Yeah, I'll get something up. I've got a few pending now.
7 >
8 > I've been using Gentoo since 2003 & have installed it in 2 machines.
9 > I've also felt it necessary more than once to comment in LWN
11 > & how it was no longer putting out new versions reliably or on time.
12 > The fact that 'version' doesn't mean the same for Gentoo as other distros
13 > is not clear to the many people who haven't used Gentoo.
14 >
15 > I just had a look at the Gentoo home page,
16 > as if I were a newcomer wanting to find out how to get started.
17 > The 'about' page says nothing about the basic installation process,
18 > so I went to 'installation docs', where the 1st 'installation resource'
19 > is the 'Gentoo Handbook', which led me to get 'Gentoo AMD64 Handbook',
20 > then 'about the Gentoo Linux installation'.
21 > This emphasises that I can install Gentoo in many ways,
22 > the 1st of which listed is 'from one of our installation CDs'.
23 >
24 > May I suggest that the 'about' page needs an additional 3rd section
25 > entitled 'How do I go about installing Gentoo ?'.
26 > I'm sure DB is capable of writing whatever is needed,
27 > but it could be something like the following:
28 >
29 > Unlike most distributions, which rely on binary packages
30 > and create a new version of the whole system at regular intervals,
31 > Gentoo is installed once and thereafter kept upto-date by the user
32 > by means of Portage (as above). Installing Gentoo is not difficult,
33 > but it does require a bit more time & attention from the user,
34 > which we at Gentoo consider to be a useful exercise for her or him
35 > to get to know better how a Linux system really works under the hood.
36 > All you typically need is a live CD and a copy of the Gentoo Handbook,
37 > which you can find by following the link to 'installation docs' above.
38 >
39 > It might be an idea also to amend the line in the Handbook above,
40 > so that 'one of our installation CDs' is not quite so prominent.
41 >
42 > HTH
45 The ability of new users to find their way around the site was something
46 I tried to fix with a new sidebar menu[0], which has currently been
47 implemented in http://gentoo.org/index2.xml - Unfortunately this is
48 currently being held up by something to do with the GLSA's that's been
49 hanging around incomplete for the past 6 months now (see the deps of bug
50 #252157).
51
52 I've tried posting on the relevant bugs to find out exactly what needs
53 to be done, but no one seems to care, which is a real shame as the new
54 index would be a vast improvement in my opinion.
55
56 [0] https://bugs.gentoo.org/252157
57
58 AllenJB