From: Sami Dalouche <skoobi@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild requiring user input
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:01:33
1 Maybe implementing something like debian's debconf would be a good idea ?
2 Someone told me once on the IRC gentoo's goal is NOT to become as
3 heavy/complex
4 as debian, but changing debconf to make it compatible with gentoo would be a
5 good idea,
6 I think..
7
8 Sam
9
10 ----- Original Message -----
11 From: "Scott J Garner" <mrfab@×××.net>
12 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
13 Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 6:37 PM
14 Subject: [gentoo-dev] ebuild requiring user input
17 > This may have been addressed at some point, but I
18 > couldn't find a specific answer...
19 >
20 > What is the prefered way to handle an ebuild for
21 > software that requires some kind of user input to
22 > configure and compile?
23 >
24 > The package I am dealing with specifically is
25 > lirc. The recommended method for configuring it
26 > is to run a dialog based config util which
27 > generates the proper ./configure options. This
28 > could be skipped, but some of the options are very
29 > hardware specific.
30 >
31 > I'm guessing that the prefered way is to go for
32 > no user interaction during the merge--which is
33 > possible, but runs the risk of eliminating support
34 > for some hardware.
37 > Any hints? I was thinking of defaulting to the
38 > generic version but allowing for the interactive
39 > configure via a shell variable...something like:
40 >
41 > MANUAL_CONFIG=1 emerge lirc
44 > Thanks in advance.
45 >